At, in, and around Hotel Hafen Flensburg each building tells its own tales of history. A hotel was located at the same place as long ago as 1853. And even a military hospital and the second Danish general headquarters were located here.
The heart of our hotel is the building Schiffbrücke 32. It was built in 1852, presumably according to the plans of the former municipal architect Laurits Albert Winstrup. The building is known as “Kayser’s Hof” which dates back to the days of erstwhile owner Marcus Hinrich Kayser. He purchased the building which was sold by auction in October 1852 and opened a hotel named “Kayser’s Hof” on 01 May 1853.
Even the Danish King Friedrich VII. and his entourage spent five days at the hotel in 1854. After closing down the hotel operation the building served a number of different purposes but now it has been taken back to its roots as a hotel.
Schiffbrücke runs parallel to the fjord and it is said to be the oldest shopping street of Flensburg. The first records mentioning Schiffbrücke date back to 15th century.
The literal translation of the street’s name could be landing pier but also pontoon bridge. However, the latter would be misleading because there has never been a bridge. So the name refers to its function as pier. Along Schiffbrücke parts of one the oldest railway tracks in Germany are still visible.
For DETAILS REGARDING THE HISTORY of the individual buildings of the ensemble at Schiffbrücke click here. (PDF in German language)
The cobble stoned Norderstraße is linked to Schiffbrücke by Oluf-Samson-Gang and Herrenstall. A short walk in northern direction leads to Flensburg’s landmark named Nordertor, the ancient town gate.
In southern direction Norderstraße leads to Nordermarkt and Große Straße. The street which has always been known as a multi-cultural treasure of Flensburg was not given its name until 19th century. Today, it is particularly known for the “hanging shoes”.
*Aftward: means “behind the ship” in nautical language.
Named after a merchant Oluf-Samson-Gang is the link between Norderstraße and Schiffbrücke. The name was first mentioned in the 17th century.
During the occupation of Flensburg in the same century many buildings in the street were destroyed and Oluf-Samson-Gang was not completely redeveloped and built up until the 18th century. Many of today’s buildings on Oluf-Samson-Gang date back to that time.
Oluf-Samson-Gang counts among the most beautiful historical streets in the state of Schleswig-Holstein.
Herrenstall once was the shortest way from the harbour to Duburg castle which gave the name to one of Flensburg’s districts. The age of this old lane is not known but it was mentioned for the first time in the middle of the 16th century.
For DETAILS REGARDING THE HISTORY of the individual buildings of the ensemble at Herrenstall click here. (PDF in German language)